OptiMSM™, or methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), is an organic sulfur compound (34% sulfur) that is odorless, white, and flaky with a texture much like kosher salt. OptiMSM™ is easily soluble in water making it relatively simple to use in skincare formulations. The chemical formula of OptiMSM™ is CH3SO2CH3 Essential sources OptiMSM™ from the USA- the only GRAS-designated, non-GMO, gluten-free, allergen-free, non-shellfish-derived, vegan OptiMSM™ backed by extensive toxicology data.
Methylsulfonylmethane, more commonly known as MSM, is a popular dietary supplement used to treat a wide array of symptoms and conditions.
It’s a sulfur-containing compound found naturally in plants, animals and humans. It can also be produced in a lab to create dietary supplements in powder or capsule form.
MSM is widely used in the alternative medicine field and by people looking for a natural way to relieve joint pain, reduce inflammation and boost immunity.
In addition, research supports its use in treating a number of conditions from arthritis to rosacea.
8 SCIENCE-BACKED BENEFITS OF MSM:
- Can decrease joint pain - Studies have shown that MSM significantly reduces inflammation in your body. It also inhibits the breakdown of cartilage, a flexible tissue that protects the ends of your bones in joints (1).
- Has anti-inflammatory effects, such as increasing glutathione. The anti-inflammatory properties of MSM are well documented by scientific research. It’s believed that MSM inhibits NF-kB, a protein complex involved in inflammatory responses in your body (4). It also reduces the production of cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-ɑ) and interleukin 6 (IL-6), which are signaling proteins linked to systemic inflammation (5). Additionally, MSM can increase levels of glutathione, a potent antioxidant produced by your body.
- Can speed recovery after exercise by reducing muscle damage and stress. For example, a study in 18 men showed that taking 50 mg of MSM powder per kg of body weight for 10 days significantly reduced exercise-induced muscle damage and increased antioxidant activity following an 8.7 mile (14 km) run (9).
- Helps alleviate arthritis symptoms by reducing pain and stiffness. A study in 49 people with knee osteoarthritis found that taking 3.4 grams of MSM per day for 12 weeks reduced pain and stiffness and improved physical function, compared to a placebo (12)
- May help reduce allergy symptoms by reducing inflammation. A study in 50 people with allergic rhinitis found that a dose of 2,600 mg of MSM per day over 30 days reduced symptoms including itching, congestion, shortness of breath, sneezing and coughing (17). Additionally, participants experienced a significant increase in energy by day 14 (17).
- Can boost immunity. MSM may be effective in reducing oxidative stress and inflammation that can weaken immunity. Since it’s effective in reducing levels of inflammatory compounds like IL-6 and TNF-ɑ, MSM may reduce stress on your immune system. Additionally, it plays a part in the creation of glutathione, your body’s master antioxidant. It may also help increase levels of this important compound. Having adequate levels of glutathione is crucial for the overall health and function of your immune system (19).
- Can improve skin health by strengthening keratin. MSM may be beneficial for skin health by acting as a sulfur donor to keratin. This, in turn, can help strengthen this important protein. MSM also helps reduce inflammation, which can damage skin cells and cause signs of premature aging like wrinkles (21). It may even reduce symptoms of problematic skin conditions such as rosacea, which can cause redness, irritation and inflammation of the skin. One study showed that, when applied to the skin, MSM significantly improved redness, itching, inflammation, hydration and skin color in people with rosacea (22).
- May have cancer-fighting properties. One of the newest areas of research involving MSM is studying its effectiveness in fighting cancer cells. Although the research is limited, the results have been promising so far. Several test-tube studies have shown that MSM inhibits the growth of stomach, esophageal, liver, colon, skin and bladder cancer cells (23, 24, 25, 26, 27). It seems to do this by damaging cancer cell DNA and stimulating cancer cell death (28). MSM also appears to prevent the spread of cancer cells, also known as metastasis (29.